Thursday 23 August 2012

DIY Spike and Skull Necklace

If you know me, you know I love anything with skulls or spikes. Or metal and chains. (sounds like I'm into some kind of kinky bondage..)
So its completely predictable of me to do this DIY but ahh wellllll...

You will need: 
  • Flat head pins
  • Screw-in spikes(minus the screws)
  • A glue gun
  • Round nose pliers
  • Normal pliers (not shown)
  • Skull and cross beads or charms
  • Jump rings and a necklace or chain, if you're using a chain you also need a clasp.
Most of these things you can get from craft stores or Ebay. I got all my beads and chains etc. from The Bead Shop in Manchester. And I got the spikes from Studs&Spikes.com but you can find them on Ebay and Etsy.

 Get one of your spikes, a flat head pin and your glue gun ready.
 Point the nozzle of your glue gun into the hole in the spike where the screw is meant to go. Careful not to burn your fingers on the hot glue like I did!
 Whilst the glue is still wet, keep in mind it dries quickly, push the flat end of the pin right into the bottom of the spike.
 Repeat until you've done it with all the spikes, I did 6 but only ended up using 4 so I made matching earrings with the other two! You can pick off the excess dried glue with your nails or a small pair of scissors, its pretty easy to pick off though.
 Use the wire cutters on your pliers to cut down the end of the pin to about 1 1/2 centimetres. You can use an old pair of scissors if you don't have wire cutters, its pretty easy to cut through.
 Clasp the end of the pin inbetween the middle of your round nose pliers and slowly roll it so that you get a loop.
 Repeat with the others.
 Line up your beads in the order you want. Whilst I was doing mine, I decided to leave it when I got to the 2nd spike (going from the centre outwards) just because I thought it would look too much with the rest on aswell, but its completely up to you how many you have and where you have them. So go crazy with it!
 You also need to place the beads on flat head pins and make a loop in the top. Exactly the same as the spikes except you just need to put the flat head pin through the hole in the bead, no need for gluing.
 Open your jump rings with your pliers.
 Find the middle of your chain put one end of the jump ring through the chain.
Then put it through the loop on top of your bead or spike. I spaced mine apart by 4 chain links.
 Repeat this for all your beads and spikes. If you need to, attach the clasp at the end the same as you would with the beads, just using a jump ring, and remember to put a jump ring on the other side to connect it. And voila! You have your DIY Spike and Skull Necklace! This is the matching earring I made using the extra spike. Due to having one stretched ear though, it only seemed logical to make one earring aha
Happy DIY-ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Would love to hear your thoughts!